The Department of Disability and Studies (DoBuS) at TU Dortmund University will be happy to advise and support you in organizing your studies with a disability or chronic illness. Depending on the individual impairment, requirements in the study program and individual life situation, various questions may arise, such as:
- How can I organize my need for barrier-free living space at the place of study and my mobility to the university?
- What support is available in the event of difficulties in courses or examinations due to a disability?
- What are possible individual compensations for disadvantages in studies, exams or theses and how can I apply for these compensations?
- What influence can the personal confrontation with my own impairment have on the design and course of my studies?
- How can I make contact with other students who have experienced impairments in order to exchange information and, if necessary, support each other (peer support)?
- How can I deal with social and personal stressful situations during my studies?
- What are the tasks of a study assistant and how do I use them in my studies according to my needs?
- Which work techniques and technical aids can I use effectively in my studies?
- Who will bear the costs for my disability-related additional study requirements and how do I apply for them?
- How can I organize my disability-related needs for a stay abroad during my studies?
- If my studies have been delayed for health reasons or if I have limitations in my ability to cope with stress due to my disability, how can I plan my (further) individual course of studies?
- How can I successfully return to my studies if my studies have already been interrupted for a longer period of time for health reasons?
In addition to individual counseling, DoBuS offers a variety of impairment- or issue-specific groups sessions for students with impairments.
You are welcome to make a personal counseling appointment with us by phone or e-mail.
Our open office hours (no appointment necessary, currently by phone only) are held on Wednesdays from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm.
Telephone: (+49) 231 755-6565
Dr. Claudia Schmidt
as well as dobustu-dortmundde